Build a Great Relationship – Take This Quiz!
Many couples come to me for what is called pre-marital counseling. Usually what they are looking for is a way to ensure that their relationship will last. What I have found from 20+ years of working with relationships is that couples who can answer the following questions honestly and fully have a great chance of liking and loving each other 10 years down the road.
Here are a few questions I recommend that couples ask each other before marrying:
- Have we discussed whether or not to have children, and if the answer is yes, who is going to be the primary caregiver?
- Do we have a clear idea of each other’s financial obligations and goals, and do our ideas about spending and saving mesh?
- Have we discussed our expectations for how the household will be maintained, and are we in agreement on who will manage the chores?
- Have we fully disclosed our health histories, both physical and mental?
- Is my partner affectionate to the degree that I expect?
- Can we comfortably and openly discuss our sexual needs, preferences and fears?
- Will there be a television in the bedroom?
- Do we truly listen to each other and fairly consider one another’s ideas and complaints?
- Have we reached a clear understanding of each other’s spiritual beliefs and needs, and have we discussed when and how our children will be exposed to religious/moral education?
- Do we like and respect each other’s friends?
- Do we value and respect each other’s parents, and is either of us concerned about whether the parents will interfere with the relationship?
- What does my family do that annoys you?
- Are there some things that you and I are NOT prepared to give up in the marriage?
- If one of us were to be offered a career opportunity in a location far from the other’s family, are we prepared to move?
- Does each of us feel fully confident in the other’s commitment to the marriage and believe that the bond can survive whatever challenges we may face?
Couples that have used these questions are off to a great start in their life together!