Many people think that infidelity is only sexual. The #1 form of infidelity is Emotional Infidelity. It usually stems out of feeling that something is missing in your relationship. You may feel disconnected from your partner. What is best is to talk to your partner about feeling disconnected. If you cannot talk to your partner than seek the help of a couples/marriage counselor.
How do you know if you are emotionally cheating?
- Ask yourself: If my partner were sitting next to me would I be uncomfortable doing this? If your answer is yes, it is a clue for you.
- You flirt with him/her.
- Perhaps you dress in a way that might attract the person’s attention.
- When something happens in your life you share it with her/him rather than your partner.
- You feel excited when you see the person and look forward to seeing them more than you do your partner.
- You have relationship fantasies about that person.
- You find yourself sharing problems you are having at home with that person, rather than your partner.
I recall a man I worked with who was so proud that he had not had sex with his female work friend until after he and his wife had separated. He had been receiving emotional support from his work friend for over 1 year and this is what led to his wife leaving him. He had no idea that he had been emotionally unfaithful in his marriage. Nor did he get that he was cheating on his wife.
Emotional Infidelity is quite common and very difficult for couples to fully address on their own as often the partner that is cheating does not know he/she is cheating.